Abandoned Broadway Streetcar Tunnel (Foundry Street, Boston)

The abandoned Broadway streetcar tunnel portal on Foundry Street in Boston, Massachusetts.(Image: Pi.1415926535. Foundry Street portal of Boston’s disused Broadway streetcar tunnel)

It now houses a $9 million Homeland Security-funded facility established to train first responders to deal with burning MBTA subway cars and buses in Boston, Massachusetts. But until recent times, passers-by could peer through the fence covering the concrete portal on Foundry Street, and gaze into the abandoned Broadway streetcar tunnel beyond.

(Image: Pi.1415926535. Looking down the old northbound streetcar trackbed.)

When Broadway station opened on December 15, 1917, at the intersection of Dorchester Avenue and Broadway in South Boston, it comprised three different levels, each with two tracks and an island platform. Six stairways allowed passengers to transfer easily between streetcars and subway trains on the various levels.

Southbound side of the abandoned Broadway streetcar tunnel.(Image: Pi.1415926535. Southbound side of the abandoned Broadway streetcar tunnel)

The street-level platform served trolleys on the No. 9 Streetcar Line, which ran between the Tremont Street Subway to City Point via the Pleasant Street Incline. The mid-level line, which used the now-abandoned Broadway streetcar tunnel and ran between Foundry Street and Dorchester Avenue, originally carried the line to Bay View. The lower level, meanwhile, remains open as part of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s (MBTA) Red Line, and in 1985 received a major upgrade in to install elevators and lengthen its island platform to accommodate six-car subway trains.

Since 1985 Broadway ticket hall has occupied part of the abandoned trolley tunnel.(Image: Pi.1415926535. Broadway ticket hall occupies part of abandoned trolley tunnel)

On the mid-level, above, the Broadway streetcar tunnel had remained in operation for just two years. It closed in October 1919 after the opening of Andrew station, which was more profitable and better located for commuters in South Boston. Having stood disused for two decades, the Dorchester Avenue portal was infilled in December 1941. Still, much of the tunnel survived beneath the surface, hidden away from public view. A small section was transformed into a new ticket hall (above) as part of the 1985 upgrade of the Red Line station.

(Image: Pi.1415926535. Sloping roof of the disused tunnel from above)

The only other indication of its continued existence was the portal in Foundry Street, which for years stood abandoned and fenced off, apart from the odd attempt to repurpose the forgotten space. It was reportedly even used for mushroom growing in the 1930s by the Boston Elevated Railway Company. Half a century later, in the early ’80s, another adaptive reuse project saw the disused platform used to test rubber safety edging strips for blind passengers.

The disused Broadway streetcar tunnel is now a $9 million Homeland Security-funded facility run by the MBTA as an emergency training centre for first responders dealing with burning subway cars and buses.(Image: Google Street View. Foundry Street now houses MBTA Emergency Training Center)

But when the tragic events of September 11, 2001 refocused attention on safety and infrastructure, the MBTA began using the tunnel to drill first responders on how to tackle a burning subway train beneath Boston’s busy streets. Finally, in 2013, a permanent emergency training centre was opened in the abandoned Broadway streetcar tunnel.

Marker shows location of the disused Foundry Street portal which once carried trolleys underground to Broadway station.(Image: Google Earth. Marker shows location of Foundry Street portal)

Funded by the Departmnent of Homeland Security, the $9 million facility includes one Green and two Blue Line subway cars, and a Silver Line bus. Its facade is a far cry from the old trolley tunnel portal that dominated the location for almost a century. But even so, it’s good to see this historic facility find meaningful reuse.

Related: 8 Abandoned Tram Tunnels and Trolley Graveyards

The post Abandoned Broadway Streetcar Tunnel (Foundry Street, Boston) appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

Eldon Hole: One of “Seven Wonders of the Peak”

The forbidding chasm known as Eldon Hole between Peak Forest and Castleton, in the Derbyshire Peak District.(Image: Dave Dunford. Eldon Hole between Peak Forest and Castleton)

Three hundred and fifty metres south of the summit of Eldon Hill, in the Derbyshire Peak District, the eponymous chasm known as Eldon Hole disappears into the depths of the earth. In 1636 political philosopher Thomas Hobbes described it as one of the Seven Wonders of the Peak, and at 55 metres it’s one of the deepest potholes in the area.

Eldon Hole has long been at the heart of many local legends. Folk tradition claims that it’s the domain of the Devil himself. One tale tells of a woman’s goose that fell into the pothole and emerged from Peak Cavern in nearby Castleton (a cave that is itself known as the Devil’s Arse!). However, recent examination has shown the pothole doesn’t link to other local cave systems.

Peak District Information writes that “the hole is approximately 60 metres deep, but was once much deeper, having been part-filled by stones and rubble over the years.” The website also mentions a 19th century account of two men who descended the gloomy depths and found themselves in “a large chamber with fine stalactites and flowstone deposits.”

Eldon Hole from above.(Image: Google Earth. Eldon Hole from above)

Over the years Eldon Hole has claimed a number of lives, both human and livestock, and is now fenced off to prevent more victims falling into the chasm. The forbidding natural landmark remains popular with experienced potholers and is visible to walkers hiking the trails from Castleton and Peak Forest.

Also near the summit of Eldon Hill is a Bronze Age tumulus that’s been excavated various times over the years, revealing a cache of ancient jewellery and human remains. Abandoned lead mines also dot the landscape, many of them capped to avoid injury to curious hikers.

Read Next: Culver Hole: A Medieval Dovecote Steeped in Smugglers Myth

The post Eldon Hole: One of “Seven Wonders of the Peak” appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

Eldon Hole: One of “Seven Wonders of the Peak”

The forbidding chasm known as Eldon Hole between Peak Forest and Castleton, in the Derbyshire Peak District.(Image: Dave Dunford. Eldon Hole between Peak Forest and Castleton)

Three hundred and fifty metres south of the summit of Eldon Hill, in the Derbyshire Peak District, the eponymous chasm known as Eldon Hole disappears into the depths of the earth. In 1636 political philosopher Thomas Hobbes described it as one of the Seven Wonders of the Peak, and at 55 metres it’s one of the deepest potholes in the area.

Eldon Hole has long been at the heart of many local legends. Folk tradition claims that it’s the domain of the Devil himself. One tale tells of a woman’s goose that fell into the pothole and emerged from Peak Cavern in nearby Castleton (a cave that is itself known as the Devil’s Arse!). However, recent examination has shown the pothole doesn’t link to other local cave systems.

Peak District Information writes that “the hole is approximately 60 metres deep, but was once much deeper, having been part-filled by stones and rubble over the years.” The website also mentions a 19th century account of two men who descended the gloomy depths and found themselves in “a large chamber with fine stalactites and flowstone deposits.”

Eldon Hole from above.(Image: Google Earth. Eldon Hole from above)

Over the years Eldon Hole has claimed a number of lives, both human and livestock, and is now fenced off to prevent more victims falling into the chasm. The forbidding natural landmark remains popular with experienced potholers and is visible to walkers hiking the trails from Castleton and Peak Forest.

Also near the summit of Eldon Hill is a Bronze Age tumulus that’s been excavated various times over the years, revealing a cache of ancient jewellery and human remains. Abandoned lead mines also dot the landscape, many of them capped to avoid injury to curious hikers.

Read Next: Culver Hole: A Medieval Dovecote Steeped in Smugglers Myth

The post Eldon Hole: One of “Seven Wonders of the Peak” appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

Prankster Erects Fake Residents-Only Parking Signs (Bath)

Fake residents-only parking signs have appeared in Sion Hill, Bath.(Image: Google Street View. Fake residents-only parking signs have appeared in Sion Hill)

A prankster (or perhaps a frustrated local) has put up fake parking signs in a bid to deter non-residents from leaving their cars in the Sion Hill area of Bath, Somerset.

The Telegraph reported how the “vigilante” left homeowners and council bosses “scratching their heads” about where the signs came from. The fake installations state the area lies in Residents Parking Zone F. But according to the newspaper there is no Zone F under the Bath and North East Somerset Council parking scheme.

Sion Hill is popular with university students and those looking to avoid city centre parking charges. Bath and North East Somerset Council now plan to remove some 18 fake signs spread over two different streets. Fake signs like these are understood to be legal to manufacture but illegal to erect.

A council spokesman said: “Only the highways authority is authorised to place signage and restrictions on the highway, in accordance with the appropriate regulations and with public consultation.” But at least one resident was thrilled by the new additions: “Long may it continue”, he said.

Another local added: “I’ve seen them, but I’m not sure where they came from. They weren’t put up during the day. Whether there’s a bit of Banksy going on at night time I don’t know.”

Read Next: Ayr Town Hall’s Hidden Victorian Cells (& Vintage Road Signs!)

Before You Go!

While searching for an image to illustrate this article, we stumbled across this piece of ’80s retro from the Seattle Municiple Archives in Washington state, USA, showing a couple of gulls circling over Zone 3:

Seattle Zone 3 parking permit from 1983.

The post Prankster Erects Fake Residents-Only Parking Signs (Bath) appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

“Bomb Craters” are Chilling Reminder of Greenock Blitz

Whitelees Moor in Scotland is punctuated with possible bomb craters, due to its use as a Starfish decoy site in World War Two in a bid to lure German Luftwaffe bombers away from Clyde Shipyards. These craters may have been made during the Greenock Blitz of 1941.(Image: Lairich Rig. Possible World War Two bomb crater on Whitelees Moor above Greenock)

On the night of May 6, 1941, the German Luftwaffe launched a relentless attack against the shipyards at Greenock, a town on the south bank of the River Clyde, in Scotland’s historic county of Renfrewshire. Despite the military target, civilians bore the brunt of the two-night bombardment that became known as the Greenock Blitz. As the bombs fell, 271 people were killed, more than 10,000 were injured, and thousands of homes were damaged or destroyed. But had it not been for a series of decoys on the desolate moors south of the town, the casualty rate may have been far higher.

Possible bomb craters littering Whitelees Moor above the River Clyde in Scotland may have been blasted during the 1941 Greenock Blitz.(Image: Lairich Rig. The “bomb craters” are in the vicinity of a WW2 Starfish decoy site)

The British government deployed numerous decoy sites during World War Two in a bid to protect high value targets such as shipyards, airfields, factories and the like. The barren expanse of Whitelees Moor south of Greenock, between the town and Loch Thom, offered an ideal location for a “Starfish decoy” installation built as part of the Clyde Anti-Aircraft Defences. Almost 80 years later, the barren moorland still bears the scars of that subterfuge.

"Bomb crater" from the time of the Greenock Blitz.(Image: Lairich Rig)

Across Whitelees Moor, close to the Old Largs Road, are a series of waterlogged holes – believed to be bomb craters – that may thus reveal the effectiveness of the decoy fires. According to Secret Scotland, records indicate that at least one Naval “Starfish” decoy (numbered GG2) was built on the moor, and another site numbered GG3 is also mentioned.

(Image: Lairich Rig)

Starfish was the codename given to Special Fire (SF) decoys, whereby controlled fires would be deployed in depopulated areas in an effort draw enemy bombers and reconnaissance aircraft away from strategic targets. The idea was the brainchild of Colonel Sir John F. Turner of the Royal Engineers. (Click here for a more detailed summary of different decoy sites and techniques.)

(Image: Lairich Rig)

Secret Scotland writes: “Using techniques borrowed from stage and film, the decoy sites simulated factories, railway yards, docks, urban layouts such as cities and towns, airfields, and the effects of incendiaries and bombs. Many of these sites were designed and built by Sound City Films at Shepperton Studios, whose General Manager was Campbeltown born Scot Norman Louden.”

The surviving WW2 fire control bunker on Whitelees Moor above Greenock, Scotland.(Image: Raibeart MacAoidh. WW2 fire control bunker on Whitelees Moor above Greenock)

Returning to Greenock, and local reports also indicate the presence of two Naval decoys in the vicinity of Whitelees Moor, a QL (lighting) installation above Gryffe Reservoir, and a QF (fire) decoy to the west in direction of Old Largs Road. According to the website, “Q Sites” were night decoys, whereas “K” denoted day installations.

Memorial to those killed in Greenock bombings, including the intensive Greenock Blitz which occurred over two nights in May 1941.(Image: Lairich Rig. Memorial to those killed in Greenock bombings)

Whitelees is also home to a brick and concrete QF decoy control bunker, which was reportedly built by the Air Ministry to oversee the fires on the moor. The barren landscape is at peace again today, but the relics of war are never far away. Down the hill, in the town’s cemetery, a memorial bears the inscription: “Dedicated to the everlasting memory of the citizens of Greenock who died as a result of the air raids 1940-1941”. Of those raids, the Greenock Blitz of 6–7 May 1941 was the most intensive.

Related: The ‘Beaulieu Letters’: Echoes of Hampshire’s Great War Past

The post “Bomb Craters” are Chilling Reminder of Greenock Blitz appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

“Bomb Craters” are Chilling Reminder of Greenock Blitz

Whitelees Moor in Scotland is punctuated with possible bomb craters, due to its use as a Starfish decoy site in World War Two in a bid to lure German Luftwaffe bombers away from Clyde Shipyards. These craters may have been made during the Greenock Blitz of 1941.(Image: Lairich Rig. Possible World War Two bomb crater on Whitelees Moor above Greenock)

On the night of May 6, 1941, the German Luftwaffe launched a relentless attack against the shipyards at Greenock, a town on the south bank of the River Clyde, in Scotland’s historic county of Renfrewshire. Despite the military target, civilians bore the brunt of the two-night bombardment that became known as the Greenock Blitz. As the bombs fell, 271 people were killed, more than 10,000 were injured, and thousands of homes were damaged or destroyed. But had it not been for a series of decoys on the desolate moors south of the town, the casualty rate may have been far higher.

Possible bomb craters littering Whitelees Moor above the River Clyde in Scotland may have been blasted during the 1941 Greenock Blitz.(Image: Lairich Rig. The “bomb craters” are in the vicinity of a WW2 Starfish decoy site)

The British government deployed numerous decoy sites during World War Two in a bid to protect high value targets such as shipyards, airfields, factories and the like. The barren expanse of Whitelees Moor south of Greenock, between the town and Loch Thom, offered an ideal location for a “Starfish decoy” installation built as part of the Clyde Anti-Aircraft Defences. Almost 80 years later, the barren moorland still bears the scars of that subterfuge.

"Bomb crater" from the time of the Greenock Blitz.(Image: Lairich Rig)

Across Whitelees Moor, close to the Old Largs Road, are a series of waterlogged holes – believed to be bomb craters – that may thus reveal the effectiveness of the decoy fires. According to Secret Scotland, records indicate that at least one Naval “Starfish” decoy (numbered GG2) was built on the moor, and another site numbered GG3 is also mentioned.

(Image: Lairich Rig)

Starfish was the codename given to Special Fire (SF) decoys, whereby controlled fires would be deployed in depopulated areas in an effort draw enemy bombers and reconnaissance aircraft away from strategic targets. The idea was the brainchild of Colonel Sir John F. Turner of the Royal Engineers. (Click here for a more detailed summary of different decoy sites and techniques.)

(Image: Lairich Rig)

Secret Scotland writes: “Using techniques borrowed from stage and film, the decoy sites simulated factories, railway yards, docks, urban layouts such as cities and towns, airfields, and the effects of incendiaries and bombs. Many of these sites were designed and built by Sound City Films at Shepperton Studios, whose General Manager was Campbeltown born Scot Norman Louden.”

The surviving WW2 fire control bunker on Whitelees Moor above Greenock, Scotland.(Image: Raibeart MacAoidh. WW2 fire control bunker on Whitelees Moor above Greenock)

Returning to Greenock, and local reports also indicate the presence of two Naval decoys in the vicinity of Whitelees Moor, a QL (lighting) installation above Gryffe Reservoir, and a QF (fire) decoy to the west in direction of Old Largs Road. According to the website, “Q Sites” were night decoys, whereas “K” denoted day installations.

Memorial to those killed in Greenock bombings, including the intensive Greenock Blitz which occurred over two nights in May 1941.(Image: Lairich Rig. Memorial to those killed in Greenock bombings)

Whitelees is also home to a brick and concrete QF decoy control bunker, which was reportedly built by the Air Ministry to oversee the fires on the moor. The barren landscape is at peace again today, but the relics of war are never far away. Down the hill, in the town’s cemetery, a memorial bears the inscription: “Dedicated to the everlasting memory of the citizens of Greenock who died as a result of the air raids 1940-1941”. Of those raids, the Greenock Blitz of 6–7 May 1941 was the most intensive.

Related: The ‘Beaulieu Letters’: Echoes of Hampshire’s Great War Past

The post “Bomb Craters” are Chilling Reminder of Greenock Blitz appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

The Sutro Baths: Ruins of a Lost San Francisco Landmark

The Sutro Baths were built in 1896 in the Lands End area of Outer Richmond, San Francisco.(Image: via Wikipedia. The Sutro Baths were a late 19th century wonder of San Francisco)

Nestled beneath the Cliff House on the west wide of San Francisco, California, lie the remains of a vast saltwater swimming pool complex that was every bit as grand as the Parisian Piscine Molitor. The opening of the Sutro Baths on March 14, 1896, marked the arrival of the world’s largest indoor swimming pool. But 70 years later, a ferocious fire would burn the Outer Richmond landmark to the ground. Today, all that remains are a series of tantalising ruins.

The majestic Sutro Baths were once the world's largest indoor swimming pool but burned down in 1966. Their concrete ruins can still be seen today beneath the Cliff House.(Image: ParaGreen13. The abandoned Sutro Baths ruins today)

Named after their owner Adolph Sutro, a successful San Francisco entrepreneur and the Bay City’s former mayor, the Sutro Baths incorporated six saltwater swimming pools and one freshwater pool in an area roughly 500 ft long and 254 ft wide. The complex boasted 30 swinging rings, seven water slides and a sprung diving board. According to J. E. Van Hoosear, its Victorian structure was comprised of 600 tons of iron and 100,000 square feet of glazing.

Ruined: the abandoned Sutro Baths on the west side of San Francisco.(Image: Xaven)

The remarkable 19th century complex, situated in the Lands End area of Outer Richmond, was filled by sea water at high tide, which flowed directly into its swimming pools and was capable of recycling 7,600 cubic metres of water in just one hour. At low tide this process was assisted by a powerful turbine, which drove a water pump built into a nearby cave.

(Images: Fred Hsu; Lincoln Adler)

In addition to its seven pools, the complex also housed a 2,700-seat amphitheatre, an ice rink, more than 500 dressing rooms, a museum crammed with art, artefacts and curiosities of the age, and two railway termini. The Ferries and Cliff House Railroad ran along the cliff tops, offering stunning views of the Golden Gate Bridge as it wound its way to its downtown terminal. The eponymous Sutro Railway, meanwhile, operated electric trolleys between downtown and Golden Gate Park.

Illustration showing the terminus of the old Sutro Railroad(Image: Ed Bierman. Illustration showing the terminus of the old Sutro Railroad)

But despite the grand vision of its affluent founder, the Sutro Baths struggled financially. As the decades passed, high operating costs and constant maintenance took a heavy toll of the 19th century wonder. When the 1960s dawned, the writing was on the wall. And in 1966, just as the majestic iron and glass structure was in the throes of demolition, a fire broke out which smote its ultimate ruin.

(Images: Mark J. Sebastian; Beyond My Ken)

Long abandoned, the crumbling ruins of the landmark Sutro Baths make for a haunting echo of San Francisco’s past. And with 7,600 cubic metres of concrete poured into the foundations, its remains are unmistakable beneath the old Cliff House. Both the building and the abandoned salt water complex below are now protected landmarks in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and are administered by the US National Park Service.

The abandoned Sutro Baths, still a tourist destination even in decay, at sunset.(Image: Tvol. The abandoned Sutro Baths at sunset)

They may be a relic of San Francisco’s past, but movie fans can still catch a glimpse of the Sutro Baths in all their former glory. Just pick up a copy of the 1958 crime drama The Lineup, in which Eli Wallach and Robert Keith are instructed to deliver a heroin shipment to the Sutro Museum. Today the abandonment is a popular tourist destination for fans of both film and social history.

(Image: Brocken Inaglory)

Related: 12 Abandoned Lidos & Paddling Pools of the UK (Including Those Recently Restored)

The post The Sutro Baths: Ruins of a Lost San Francisco Landmark appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

The Toppled Statue of Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz

The toppled statue of naturalist Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz outside the Stanford University Zoological Building remains one of the most famous photographs from the school's history at the time of the devastating 1906 San Francisco earthquake.(Image: W. C. Mendenhall. Toppled statue of naturalist Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz)

The cataclysmic San Francisco earthquake of 1906, which shook the Bay Area to its core and devastated much of the city, was no laughing matter. But, more than a century later, there’s an element of dark humour to this unusual and vaguely comic period photograph. The image shows a statue of Swiss-born American biologist Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz after being toppled from the facade of Stanford University’s Zoology building, its head firmly embedded in the concrete below.

This image soon became a symbol of Stanford’s earthquake history, and even today remains the most famous photograph associated with that devastating event. Many stories have been told about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and various accounts were given by students and faculty at the school (more here). As one student wrote:

“A big marble statue of Agassiz was toppled off his perch on the outside of the quad and fell foremost into the ground (right through a cement walk) up to his shoulders, and still sticks there, legs in the air and his hand held out gracefully. People came running from the quad with such sober faces, but when they saw him they couldn’t help laughing, and one fellow went up and shook hands with him.”

The post The Toppled Statue of Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

Conceptual Art Depicts the Terraforming of Mars

Terraforming Mars(Image: D Mitriy. Concept art depicts the terraforming of Mars)

In 1973, celebrated American astronomer and cosmologist Carl Sagan published an article in the journal Icarus titled “Planetary Engineering on Mars”. Three years later, NASA addressed the issue of making the Red Planet habitable for human life in a study using the terminology “planetary ecosynthesis”. By 1982, the term “terraforming” made its first appearance in the title of a published journal article.

(Images: D Mitriy – left, right)

The paper, “Terraforming Mars”, by planetary scientist Christopher McKay, was published in the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society. “Terraforming” has been the standard nomenclature ever since, fuelling scientific debate and leading to its fair share of concept art, like these images by Wikimedia contributor D Mitriy.

(Image: D Mitriy)

Putting aside the ethical and technological limitations, terraforming refers to the process of engineering the surface and climate of a planet to make it able to support human life. Sagan first proposed the terraforming of Venus back in 1961 by “seeding the atmosphere” with algae. But later studies of atmospheric conditions on Venus rendered this approach nonviable, and the Red Planet has since become the main focus of scientists.

(Image: D Mitriy)

In addition to serious scientific study and debate, the terraforming of Mars has also become a popular subject for conceptual artists to address. Lone travellers exploring distant planets and the dystopian ruins of our own world have all proved popular subjects. When it comes to terraforming Mars, perhaps in the future these fun visuals will break the shackles of science fiction…

(Image: D Mitriy)

Published under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 licence, these images by D Mitriy are steeped in a retro-futuristic atmosphere popular with the sci-fi genre. The image below, meanwhile, shows an artist’s impression of Mars being terraformed in four different stages.

Artist's impressive depicting the terraforming of Mars.(Image: Daein Ballard, GFDL)

Read Next: A Definitive Guide to the 7 Wonders of the Solar System

The post Conceptual Art Depicts the Terraforming of Mars appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.

Vegan Graffiti on Dalry Road, Edinburgh

Vegan graffiti and other messages tagged on Dalry Road, Edinburgh. The message reads "Vegan: Compassion non-violence for people for animals and planet"Vegan graffiti and other messages tagged on Dalry Road, Edinburgh

Earlier today I hit upon this fascinating and poignant article in The Scotsman about the changing face of Gorgie-Dalry over the last 40 years. For those of you who live in Edinburgh, or those with a more general interest in economic and social history, the article by David McLean, featuring the photography of artist Catherine Stevenson, is well worth a browse.

It’s also prompted me to post these (admittedly far less quality) photos of a series of vegan graffiti and various inspirational quotes, that are scrawled on the side of a building site at the junction of Dalry Road and Morrison Street. Unlike most of the graffiti in this busy part of town, their meaning is clear, carrying messages of non-violence, self-belief, ethical treatment of animals and more. I’ve walked past these scrawled messages every day for weeks, perhaps months, so finally decided to snap a few pics.

BE THE CHANGE you want TO SEE in the world

BE THE CHANGE you want TO SEE in the world

The above is popularly attributed to Gandhi, but is actually a bumper sticker, according to the New York Times.

Whatever happens in your life remember: YOU're the most beautiful and important person in this WORLD

Whatever happens in your life remember: YOU’re the most beautiful and important person in this WORLD

BUY LESS DO MORE

BUY LESS DO MORE

System change NOT CLIMATE change

System change NOT CLIMATE change

We’re unsure who’s behind these messages, and I’m no handwriting expert. System Change Not Climate Change is a familiar enough slogan, an ecosocialist mantra that comes with its own website.

The temporary timber wall that serves as a canvas for these tags separates Dalry Road from the site of the much anticipated £200 million Haymarket Development (website here), an ongoing construction project which, The Scotsman writes, is currently delayed. Finally, at top, the vegan graffiti that, IIRC, led to the rest:

VEGAN

Compassion non-violence for people for animals and planet

The post Vegan Graffiti on Dalry Road, Edinburgh appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.