(Image: Chris Morgan. St Michael & All Angels Church, Earl Sterndale)
The Church of St Michael & All Angels in Earl Sterndale has the dubious distinction of being the only church in Derbyshire to be hit by a German bomb during World War Two. It was constructed in 1828 on the site of a much older chapel. But in 1941 it was largely destroyed after being mistakenly bombed by Luftwaffe aircraft. Restored in 1952, a Saxon font inside St Michael’s survives to this day. Situated five miles south of Buxton and eight miles west of Bakewell, in the Peak District National Park, the church stands opposite the ominously-named Quiet Woman public house, with its signboard depicting a headless female. The isolated farms on the hillsides surrounding Earl Sterndale were once monastic granges.
(Image: Neil Theasby. The Quiet Woman public house)
The post Church of St Michael & All Angels, Earl Sterndale appeared first on Urban Ghosts Media.